For My Very Special Lady

This post is officially dedicated to Matthew Tobey, and if you're reading this, you probably know why. It's highly likely you arrived here via Mr. T____'s flying hyperlink.

You may have noticed that he calls me "brilliant," which is absolutely true, provided you take the word at it's original etymological meaning: "borderline autistic in regards to hoarding certain fringe genres of music." (From OED.)

You may have also noticed that he totally puts me in my place for being such a suck-ass blogger, and he's completely right. My very first attempt at blogging was called "I am the Stallion," an ill-conceived mixing of diary entries with Ween obsessiveness. (It was worthwhile mainly for the mp3 links, and even then, only if you're a Ween fan.) The page went through long periods of neglect followed by short bursts of activity, with new names and themes such as "I am Jean Luc Godard" and "I am Trapped in an Elevator." (I'm certain you can imagine the infinite possibilities available to those two ideas.)

Anyway, I don't have the best track record for keeping blogs up and running.

But I've got a good feeling about this one...

(sigh)

So, being for the benefit of Mr. Tobey, here's some extra-fine, super-rare Ween. It's the demo version of an outtake from their exquisite 12 Golden Country Greats. (How's that for obscure?)

mp3: Ween - I Got No Darkside

All the demos tracks for 12 Golden Country Greats are available on the excellent weenftp.org. What's really fun about these demos is that, if you know the album (which was atypically well-produced with Nashville session players) you can see how a "Ween song" can turn into an "almost normal song" with just a little spit and polish. (Note: I almost didn't post this link. Because now, really, what good am I?)

0 things said:

Post a Comment

<< Back



Being a repository for unpopular opinons, self-deprecation, some mp3s and very little about Fyodor Mikhaylovich Dostoevsky.


email

fyodor.dostoevsky at gmail.com


archives

January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
February 2006


places

Matthew Tobey
Utter Wonder
Lindsayism
Maud Newton
J. Edward Keyes


mp3 places

Scenestars
Stereogum
Songs: Illinois
Big Rock Candy Mountain
Bars & Guitars
Heraclitus Sayz
Ween FTP
Songs To Wear Pants To
MP3 Jackpot
Public Domain 4U